PonyProg :  PonyProg Phorum PonyProg
PonyProg open discussion 
SPI Eprom Automotive 25LC04AE Cannot write correctly
Posted by: 04colyZQ8 ()
Date: January 20, 2015 09:39AM

I'm using a homeade prototype board (breadboard) using a old pc with Serial DB9 port. Windows 7 ultimate. Ponyprog2000 set as admin (compatibly mode XP SP3). I have elimitated the capcitor, and voltage regualtor circuit. I am using the PCs 5 volt power supply, from a extra hard drive connector.

I have read and reflashed multiple SPI eproms 25c40, 95040, and microwave 93C56 (modded board bypassed transitor circuit needed for SPI)

The latesest Eprom SPI 25LCO4AE is giving me problems, I can read it no problem, but I cant write it correctly, it says write failed, and its all jumbled.

I think the clock speed should be slower for this automotive eprom? 1hz verses 2-3hz for the 25c40?

Also lines 1B0-1FF, seem to never change, and there is two other spots midway the Bin, that never can be programmed either. Its like they have wirte protected portions.

Any solouitns to this? I tried writing the file I pulled from the 25LC04AE, and it worked, but ounce back on the board in the body contol module, it won't work. Resldered the botched 25LC04AE, back on the board, and it worked again??

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: SPI Eprom Automotive 25LC04AE Cannot write correctly
Posted by: sonix ()
Date: January 20, 2015 07:22PM

Hi Jake,

could you please specify concretely device type? In your description you have mentioned 25LC04 and also 25LC40. So which one is the correct?

If you think that the write failure is caused by spi bus speed, than you can try to edit the "PonyProg2000.ini" file located in PonyProg2000 folder. There is a key, namely SPIBusSpeed and it can be setup to any of these values: NORMAL, TURBO, FAST, SLOW, VERYSLOW, ULTRASLOW.

Yours sincerely
sonix


04colyZQ8 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm using a homeade prototype board (breadboard)
> using a old pc with Serial DB9 port. Windows 7
> ultimate. Ponyprog2000 set as admin (compatibly
> mode XP SP3). I have elimitated the capcitor, and
> voltage regualtor circuit. I am using the PCs 5
> volt power supply, from a extra hard drive
> connector.
>
> I have read and reflashed multiple SPI eproms
> 25c40, 95040, and microwave 93C56 (modded board
> bypassed transitor circuit needed for SPI)
>
> The latesest Eprom SPI 25LCO4AE is giving me
> problems, I can read it no problem, but I cant
> write it correctly, it says write failed, and its
> all jumbled.
>
> I think the clock speed should be slower for
> this automotive eprom? 1hz verses 2-3hz for the
> 25c40?
>
> Also lines 1B0-1FF, seem to never change, and
> there is two other spots midway the Bin, that
> never can be programmed either. Its like they have
> wirte protected portions.
>
> Any solouitns to this? I tried writing the file
> I pulled from the 25LC04AE, and it worked, but
> ounce back on the board in the body contol module,
> it won't work. Resldered the botched 25LC04AE,
> back on the board, and it worked again??

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: SPI Eprom Automotive 25LC04AE Cannot write correctly
Posted by: 04colyZQ8 ()
Date: January 20, 2015 09:45PM

It's a 25c40 and a 25lo4ae. Maybe that's why it won't write? Tried adjust the ini. Used note PAd , but it won't stay edited? Even after saving, file as . Ini?

I think it's the different model number, addressed differently and only letting you write certain parts? Is it possible to add the specs for this chip 25l04ae, to the program ?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: SPI Eprom Automotive 25LC04AE Cannot write correctly
Posted by: sonix ()
Date: January 21, 2015 09:12PM

Hi Jake,

when you edit PonyProg2000.ini the program (PonyProg2000) must be closed. Another reason for not rewritable ini file is that it is located in system protected folder (e.g. Program Files ... in case of win7). Then it should be possible to edit if you open notepad as administrator and then open from notepads menu the ini file.

I have no success to find datasheet to the "25lo4ae" (25L04AE). Can you please verify the the datasheet from the link below? Is it the correct device?

http://datasheet.octopart.com/FM25L04-G-Ramtron-datasheet-17591110.pdf

Yours sincerely
sonix


04colyZQ8 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's a 25c40 and a 25lo4ae. Maybe that's why it
> won't write? Tried adjust the ini. Used note PAd ,
> but it won't stay edited? Even after saving, file
> as . Ini?
>
> I think it's the different model number,
> addressed differently and only letting you write
> certain parts? Is it possible to add the specs for
> this chip 25l04ae, to the program ?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: SPI Eprom Automotive 25LC04AE Cannot write correctly
Posted by: 04colyZQ8 ()
Date: January 21, 2015 11:00PM

I think it sounds correct but the voltage on the board was 5.5volts. I too couldn't find a sheet on the exact chip

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: SPI Eprom Automotive 25LC04AE Cannot write correctly
Posted by: sonix ()
Date: January 22, 2015 05:41PM

Hi Jake,

if the eeprom supply voltage in original circuit is 5.5V then it is definitely not the same device as I assumed (FM25L04). So without correct device datasheet it is not possible to analyze the reason for incompatibility with PonyProg2000.

Yours sincerely
sonix


04colyZQ8 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think it sounds correct but the voltage on the
> board was 5.5volts. I too couldn't find a sheet on
> the exact chip

Options: ReplyQuote


Return to LancOS.
Powered by Phorum.