PonyProg :  PonyProg Phorum PonyProg
PonyProg open discussion 
Memory 95320 "Write failed"
Posted by: danidaniel ()
Date: May 20, 2017 02:44PM

Software: Ponyprog 2.08d.
Operating system: Windows XP SP2.
Hardware: SIprog with SPI adapter.

No problem reading data from device, always successful with data different from 0xFF and Ox00.
However, any attempt to write is completed with a "Write failed" message (Erasure device also returns error). Modification of configuration bits is not possible since bit checkboxes are disabled.

After reading other posts, it's evident that similar issue was experienced by others but an explanation is still missing.
Since this is an automotive memory, they may be different from a standard 25xxx/95xxx or using different write instructions (just a hypothesis).
Please, if someone has solved this issue or someone has an idea how to fix it, let me know.

Daniel

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Memory 95320 "Write failed"
Posted by: sonix ()
Date: May 20, 2017 07:13PM

Hi Daniel,

I do not have eeprom type 95xxx, but I have similar eeproms 25080 and 25640 that use the same programming algorithm. I have tried to read / write to the 25640 but with selected device type as "25320" and both operation were successful. So I assume that the algorithm in PonyProg is good also for eeprom type "25320".

If read operation is successful for you, but write operation not, it can be caused also with insufficient power supply during writing. Do you use external power supply or power from COM port?

Yours sincerely
sonix

danidaniel Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Software: Ponyprog 2.08d.
> Operating system: Windows XP SP2.
> Hardware: SIprog with SPI adapter.
>
> No problem reading data from device, always
> successful with data different from 0xFF and
> Ox00.
> However, any attempt to write is completed with a
> "Write failed" message (Erasure device also
> returns error). Modification of configuration bits
> is not possible since bit checkboxes are
> disabled.
>
> After reading other posts, it's evident that
> similar issue was experienced by others but an
> explanation is still missing.
> Since this is an automotive memory, they may be
> different from a standard 25xxx/95xxx or using
> different write instructions (just a hypothesis).
> Please, if someone has solved this issue or
> someone has an idea how to fix it, let me know.
>
> Daniel

Re: Memory 95320 "Write failed"
Posted by: danidaniel ()
Date: May 28, 2017 12:45AM

SOLVED!
My fault actually: My programmer was built on a board that had a previous circuit with a DB9 connector and an integrated circuit MAX232. The only connection shared by both circuits (besides 5 volts power supply) was an RS232 input of the MAX232 and since it was an input, I assumed it could not affect the programmer circuit. I was wrong, when I removed the MAX232, the programmer was able to read and write a memory 95320 correctly.
In short, there is no issue programming 95xxx memories with Ponyprog.

Thank you very much sonix for your help!
Daniel