PonyProg :  PonyProg Phorum PonyProg
PonyProg open discussion 
nice feature...configurable ports....
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 14, 2007 09:56AM

hello,

I have some problems with the detection of my Parallel Port(w/PCI card),
I'm using Windows XP and the I/O address anr IRQ for LPTx port is very very different instead of the tipical address 0x278.

Does it possible to make a little little box to reconfigure the Hardware address of the parallel port(and COM ports) ?

I've seen more difference between 2.0xx versions of PonyProg to detect my LPT card, some version like 2.06c detect it but Ponyprog oesn't support some AVR devices, but 2.06f support them but the parallel port doesn't work.

I appreciate your nice program but I'd like to have a possibility to modify the address of my parallel port access from the Ponyprog software, thank.

A beautiful feature in general is to get a configuration text file(like AVRdude!!!) where you add or change the pinout of your home-made programmer or to include new hardware...
I suppose it's not difficult to implement it, for example you read this configuration file every time you select what programmers you use, to make fresh update of pin configuration..

In my opinion Ponyprog will be more flexible with this simple feature.

does it possible?

Saluti,
callisto.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: nice feature...configurable ports....
Date: April 14, 2007 07:04PM

I see on ponyprog2000 configuration file a keyword like this:

COMPorts=3F8

now, is it possible to add a key to get the right LPT address of my LPT card?

thanks in advance for your reply,

Saluti,
Callisto.

Date: April 16, 2007 04:20PM

hi,

I tried to disable the autodetection of LPT ports and PonyProg seems to see the LPT1 Port but it's impossible to show if STK200 works on this LPT port.

In another Personal Computer my STK200 dongle works well with WinAVR during the programming operation.

Does anyone have the same problem I have?

Saluti,
Callisto.

Posted by: lancos ()
Date: April 19, 2007 03:33PM

Hi,
the answer to your question is in the FAQ here (last question):

http://www.lancos.com/e2p/ponyprog2000.html#s5

Regarding the pin configuration via a text editable file it will be a nice feature,
thank you for the suggestion.

Cheers,
Claudio Lanconelli

Date: April 21, 2007 10:05AM

thanks Claudio,

before to post a message in this forum I tried to detect into exe file the hex values of tipycal LPT address...BC03 F802 F803 .... I find them ordered, I've changed one of these into 68DC (my address) but there was a strange check probably, confirmed by CVS code of ponyprog(portint.cpp),
Ponyprog until 2.06f version doesnot detect well the parallel port, if it's nota standard address.

if the address is greater than 0x400, simply it's discharged.
my Port is 0xDC68 (Sunix PCI 4009A card) configured into LPT1 port.

Ponyprog 2.06f with AutoDetectPorts=YES doesn't detect the port....but if I specify AutoDetectPorts=NO , the port has been detected and I'm sure it's wrong address.

Wow in a few days an user has posted here a link with the new 2.06g binary file compiled (pony2007 ??) with new modification I suggested to you....(at the moment I dont have VC++ installed)) I tried it and I can confirm that your modification works well.

for my STK200 home-made dongle my configuration is this:
//____________________________________
LanguageCode=C
PowerUpDelay=200
SPIResetPulse=100
SPIDelayAfterReset=50
BigSPIPageWrite=16
ATMegaPageWriteDelay=50
AVRByteWriteDelay=20
AVREraseDelay=50
I2CBusSpeed=NORMAL
SPIBusSpeed=NORMAL
MicroWireBusSpeed=NORMAL
PICBusSpeed=NORMAL
SDEBusSpeed=NORMAL
LogEnabled=YES
SoundEnabled=YES
VerifyAfterWrite=YES
ClearBufferBeforeLoad=NO
ClearBufferBeforeRead=NO
AutoDetectPorts=NO
I2CBaseAddress=0xA0
I2CBusPageWrite=16
DeviceType=ATmega32
COMPorts=3F8,2F8,3E8,2E8
LPTPorts=DC68,378,278,3BC
InterfaceType=AvrISP-I/O
PortNumber=1
ResetPolarity=TRUE
ClockPolarity=TRUE
DOutPolarity=TRUE
DInPolarity=TRUE
BogoMipsX1000=349216
//______________________________

Now its' possible to modify the address.

First: I made AutoDetectPorts=NO to avoid problems.

Second: I added my personal Address 0xDC68 in the first position, because I have LPT1 port.
LPTPorts=DC68,378,278,3BC

Third: PortNumber=1 ; LPT1 Port

Start PonyProg, check if all hardware settings are ok and after you make a Calibration.

After this I checked my little board with ATMega32 device and STK200 Parallel cable.
Without problems.

Nice idea to explain this improvement into help FAQs .

thanks
This little feature is a big step to help people with a "exotic" card.(newer PC or laptop doesn't have LPT or serial Port...)

Saluti,
Callisto.